Arrest slashed to 3-1 Derby favourite as punters pile into Frankie Dettori’s final Epsom Classic ride
Arrest is the new favourite for Saturday’s Betfred Derby (1.30) after Frankie Dettori scooped both Group 1s at Epsom on Friday, leaving bookmakers ducking for cover.
Dettori landed the Coronation Cup on Emily Upjohn before completing a remarkable big-race double on Soul Sister in the Oaks, and he now turns his attention to his final ride in the Derby on Arrest.
The son of Frankel had shortened on Friday morning to provide Dettori with an emotional winner in the Derby before he retires later this year. Dettori has won the Derby twice with Authorized (2007) and Golden Horn (2015).
However, the surge of money continued as Dettori dominated the big races at Epsom on Friday afternoon and Arrest is 11-4 with Sky Bet and a general 3-1 to give the Italian a remarkable third British Classic of his final season.
The ground at Epsom quickened to good to firm on Friday and Arrest does hold winning juvenile form on that ground, although his impressive Chester Vase triumph last month came on soft.
Coral expect Arrest to go off favourite after a famous Friday and their spokesperson David Stevens said: “Frankie Dettori has been the man for the big occasion throughout his career, and he’s proved that once again with a Group 1 double on the opening day of this year’s Derby meeting, his last in the saddle.
“Plenty of punters will have backed them both and have them in multiple bets with Arrest, plus many more will want to back Frankie in his final Derby ride, and it’s almost certain the pair will be sent off favourite for the Epsom Classic.
“It means we’re in for a nervous day, although with the race going off at 1.30pm, at least we’ll know our fate early!”
Ladbrokes has also seen huge support for Arrest ahead of the Derby and having originally cut him to 9-2 (from 6) earlier on Friday, he is now 7-2 following Dettori’s Oaks victory.
Their spokesperson Nicola McGeady said: “Frankie Dettori’s farewell tour is turning into a true fairytale and after landing a Group 1 double today, it looks like he will now go off as clear favourite in the Derby aboard Arrest.
“Frankie was always going to be incredibly popular for his final Derby ride, but after today’s heroics, every man and his dog will want to be with him tomorrow.”
Arrest is the 3-1 favourite with William Hill and their spokesperson Lee Phelps believes that price may not last long if the momentum behind him continues into Saturday.
“We were preparing for the money to pile in if Frankie Dettori enjoyed a good Friday and, after both Emily Upjohn and Soul Sister emerged victorious, punters have really latched onto Arrest in the Derby,” he said.
“Frankie’s Derby mount is now the 3-1 market leader for tomorrow’s Classic and we can only really see his price getting shorter given how much the country’s punters love him. He could go off pretty short if the support remains this strong.”
Longtime ante-post favourite Auguste Rodin has been notably weak in the market on Friday and is now available at 7-2, having been as short as 5-2 after declarations were made on Thursday.
Auguste Rodin is the class horse of the race having won easily at Group 1 level as a juvenile but the son of Deep Impact was extremely disappointing when last seen in the 2,000 Guineas. He finished 12th when sent off 13-8 favourite but stablemate Little Big Bear, who was last, has bounced back since.
2023 Derby festival at Epsom: best betting offers
- bet365 have a new customer offer available if you sign up for an account here
- Paddy Power are giving away free bets to new and existing customers, and all you need is an account. Sign up here
- Sky Bet are offering new customers free bets when they sign up. You can get them, along with money-back specials and extra places, here
- Betfair have lots of offers, extra places and money-back specials. Sign up for a new account here
- New William Hill customers can claim free bets and benefit from money-back offers here
- To get a free bet from Ladbrokes, simply sign up to a new account here
- Sign up for a new Coral account. They have an offer for new customers here
- If you’re a new customer, Tote will give you a free bet. Sign up here to claim
- Commercial notice: This article contains affiliate links. Offers are handpicked and come from operators that our experts have first-hand experience of. Opening an account via one of these links will earn revenue for the Racing Post, which will be used to continue producing our award-winning coverage of horseracing.
bet365: 3-1 Arrest, 7-2 Auguste Rodin, 9-2 Military Order, 13-2 Passenger, 14 The Foxes, White Birch, 18 Dubai Mile, 33 bar
Read these next:
font : Racing Post