The 2021 Korean Oaks will be run at Busan on Sunday afternoon – full horse-by-horse preview to follow. There are 7 races at Busan from 11:10 to 16:40 and 10 at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00. The racecourses and all betting locations are open at restricted capacity, however, there is no walk-in admission and attendance must be pre-booked through the MyCard app. Proof of vaccination against Covid-19 is also required. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
A small field of juvenile maidens assemble for the opener with a few standouts. Both of (5) CHEONJI JIDAE’s starts to date have been over 1000M and both times he has recorded decent times, finishing in 3rd and 4th and running on well. He steps up to 1200M here and should have solid claims to be on pace throughout. The main danger is (8) CHAMJOEUN CHINGU. She too has operated only at 1000M prior to today and ran an improved 3rd on her second start on October 17th. She’s from a red-hot stable and can continue to show progress here. (6) SPEED GALLOP similarly improved to 2nd place at start number two on October 10th. She was a long way behind a good winner, but she ran on well and the additional furlong may suit. Solitary debut-maker (3) TITAN SOCKS led in his most recent trial, ultimately crossing the line in 2nd place in a fair time and can go well first-up. (4) JILJUE BADA is one of only two who have tackled the distance before and could challenge for the places.
|Selections||(5) Cheonji Jidae (8) Chamjoeun Chingu (6) Speed Gallop (3) Titan Socks|
|Next Best||4, 1|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 8|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Small field of two and three-year-old maidens. (8) WONDERFUL FAGER looks set to be the one to beat, despite returning from twenty-two weeks out. He’s finished 3rd in three of his four starts and finished in that very same position in a trial two weeks ago. He can sit handy here and run on strong. (2) DAEHO NURI comes in having taken his chance in a Listed juvenile race last time out when he ran 6th of ten in a fair time over this distance. He showed handy to the lead that day and will be expected to do similar today with solid claims to be in this a long way. Also likely to be on pace this time will be (3) ADELE CHUKBAE, who may appreciate the step up in trip. All three of his starts so far have been at 1000M and with a slightly less intense early part of the race here, he can find a better position. (5) NEW CROWN and (6) WONDERFUL DIGGER are others in the placing hunt.
|Selections||(8) Wonderful Fager (2) Daeho Nuri (3) Adele Chukbae (5) New Crown|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Big field and from the inside spot, (1) SARYEONI FIRST may prove hard to beat. He ran 2nd to Aspen Taeyang on debut before finishing 3rd behind Meni Wonderful and Icheon Arch at his second start on October 3rd. Both were over 1000M, and he made good ground late both times. The additional furlong can suit, and he’ll be favourite to salute at the third time of asking. (3) LONDON POWER enters off a good 4th place finish at class and distance on October 16th. She draws similarly well today and should be able to grab an early lead. She won’t necessarily be easy to go past. There is one first-time starter in the shape of (5) BE CRAZY. There are sure to be plenty of eyes on the three-year-old gelding as he is a half-brother to top line Seoul-based sprinter East Jet. He won a barrier trial in an unhurried fashion a month ago and has every chance of going well first-up. (10) SMART JEONSA and (6) DONGSEO YEOGEOL are others in the placing hunt.
|Selections||(1) Saryeoni First (3) London Power (5) Be Crazy (10) Smart Jeonsa|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 6|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
After an inauspicious debut, (10) DAEJI CHOICE has run well in three subsequent starts including a 3rd place in the Listed Areumdaun Jilju n Stakes for juveniles at his latest outing on October 3rd over 1200M when he emerged out of the pack late on, a long way behind the winner but well clear of 4th. The step up in trip may be to his benefit and he can win here. The big danger is (3) DAEHOMA. The three-year-old comes in off his best finish to date when 2nd at this distance on October 17th when always on pace from the same gate he has drawn today and beating several of these in the process. He’ll be the one to aim at here and could go all the way. (8) HANSEN ICHEON races for the third time, having improved to run 3rd behind Daehoma at start number two. He was on pace that day and is likely to be challenging for the lead again here. (11) GIANT CAL and (1) GWANGDAESEUNGCHEON, who also went in that race, are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(10) Daeji Choice (3) Daehoma (8) Hansen Icheon (11) Giant Cal|
|Next Best||1, 9|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(1) JIGEUMYEOGIE did precisely nothing across twelve starts at sprint distances up until August. He was then given a couple of months off, trialed up well and then tried over 1700M for the first time, a distance at which he proceeded to make up excellent late ground and to run 2nd. The time was not quick but quick is one thing he will not need to be in this race and frankly, he is hard to oppose. (6) HANI ran 4th behind Jigeumyeogie at his latest start and that’s enough to bring him too into contention here while (3) TAEYANGTAGO also scored a career-best 4th on her first try at this distance a month ago and similarly can be looking to go at least one better today. As for the rest, (10) SOUTH BAN and (2) SAENAE HWANGJE perhaps have the best chance of competing for a place.
|Selections||(1) Jigeumyeogie (6) Hani (3) Taeyangtago (10) South Ban|
|Next Best||2, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 7, 10|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(3) PURE KING is the one to beat here. A good winner over 1200M at class 6 level two starts back, he then beat a couple of these on his way to a runner-up finish on his first try at both this class and distance on October 8th when he was on pace throughout. He only comes up marginally in the weights and draws well again and should have enough to see off this small field. (4) MONGTTANG comes up in class having registered his maiden win when coming from midfield to score over 1200M just two weeks ago. The additional trip can suit and under a light weight and a nice draw, he should measure up at this level. (6) RUN FIGHTER and (2) DOCTOR TEXAS came home in 5th and 4th respectively behind Pure King a month ago and both can be considered for at least places here. (7) SMARTY DOLPUNG comes up in class and in distance following a coast-to-coast score over 1300M in September. He has had nine weeks off since but can’t be left out of the calculations here.
|Selections||(3) Pure King (4) Mongttang (6) Run Fighter (2) Doctor Texas|
|Next Best||7, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 4|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Quite a good race with boosted prize money as it is a race where either the sire or dam of a runner must have raced in Korea. (7) WONDERFUL K is a perfect one for one at this distance having come from a handy position to score emphatically on his first crack at it at class 6 level on October 10th. He’ll probably need to run a faster time to repeat today but he looks to have scope for improvement. (1) TYCHE FIRE is a winner at this class and distance and comes in having run 4th in each of his latest four outings. He comes in having beaten a few of these at this latest start over 1400M, running on strong from the back as is his style and he will probably start as favourite here. (9) MAKALU POWER comes up in trip having run on well in his latest outings over shorter. A nineteen-race maiden, he doesn’t seem a likely winner but could place. (6) RUFFIAN PARK and (3) GYEONGBU DORYEONG are others in the minor money frame.
|Selections||(7) Wonderful K (1) Tyche Fire (9) Makalu Power (6) Ruffian Park|
|Next Best||3, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 7, 12|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
A good race but (8) WONDER BLADE should have the edge. He raced twice in October for 2nd and 4th places, both at this class, first at 1200M and then at 1400M. He does come up a full 4kg in the weights for that latest effort, but Perovic climbs back aboard, and he looks firmly in the hunt. (12) CLIFTON KING was a good winner on debut which led him to be sent off as favourite for the Areumdaun Jilju Stakes on October 3rd, a juvenile Listed race. That status was perhaps more to do with his stable rather than his actual prospects in that race, but he should have come on for the experience and can go much closer here. (2) NAMED races for the first time since getting her maiden win back in ay when she made all in a fast time at this distance. That in turn was nine-months after her debut as a juvenile so we know she can go well first up. She trialed up nicely a couple of weeks ago and gets a nice gate. (3) CROWN KING STAR comes up in class after a good win over the distance on October 15th. From a good gate he can sit handy and be competitive. (7) GLORY KING was well back behind Wonder blade on his first try at this class six weeks ago but has proven himself capable of running good times at this distance and is perhaps worth another chance here.
|Selections||(8) Wonder Blade (12) Clifton King (2) Named (3) Crown King Star|
|Next Best||7, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 7, 10|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Tricky race. (3) GOLD SPIKE is the narrow top pick having won at this distance in a fast time at class 6 level two starts back before running a good 4th on her first try at this class on October 10th. Her style is to sit back and run on and she has as good a claim as any here. (8) RAON THE TIGER had a poor day at the office at his latest start back on August 21st. He had a couple of months off after that and only came back into full work at the end of last month but going on prior form where he has run and won in fast times at this distance, he has to come into the calculations and is a probable front-runner. (2) MEOTJIN GUY enters with almost identical form to Gold Spike having won two starts back at class 6 level before finishing 4th on his first try at this class, both at today’s distance. He too tends to get back in his races before running on and is a chance here. (7) FLYING FULL MOON comes up in class following an all the way win over this distance four weeks ago and is another who should be on pace. (9) OLD SPECIAL has mixed form at this level but is another who has run a fast time at this distance and could challenge for minor money at least.
|Selections||(3) Gold Spike (8) Raon The Tiger (2) Meotjin Guy (7) Flying Full Moon|
|Next Best||9, 11|
|Fast Start||7, 8, 9, 10|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Competitive race. We’ll take a chance on (5) COOL GUY, a colt who has never finished worse than 3rd in seven outings to date but who steps up in trip to a mile for the first time. Both his wins have come at 1200M, but he has posted decent times at 1400M and has finished off his races well. He comes in here off a nine-week layoff but trialed up last week in good order and can win. (1) MAGIC FLYING is the probable favourite. He may have only won two of his thirty-five starts so far but he has a further ten top three finishes to his name and enters after an excellent 2nd place behind Sky More over 1800M on October 17th. Tactically versatile, he draws well here and has every chance. (10) HAPPY WOMAN was a fast winner over 1400M at class 5 level on October 3rd and then three weeks later, stepped up to this class and distance and ran a super 3rd with a number of today’s rivals behind her. She carries next to no weight at all and despite the wider draw, has a winning chance again. Plenty of others are in at least the placing frame with (3) SEUNGNI TOUT and (6) CRONUS the most prominent.
|Selections||(5) Cool Guy (1) Magic Flying (10) Happy Woman (3) Seungni Tout|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 5|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Small field of fillies (and one mare) here but it’s a competitive one. The manner in which (1) WORLD FORCE broke her maiden at start number two on October 10th when she blitzed 1000M to win by as many as she pleased, suggests that she has to go on top here. From the inside she can get to the front and may prove hard to pass. (2) FIRENZE CASTLE also won on her second career start, which came nine months after her first, on October 9th. She too made all from the same barrier that she draws today and with an apprentice taking a full 3kg off her back, she has solid claims again. A more experienced contender is (3) DANCING WITH YOU and she drops back slightly in trip following a good 3rd and a 2nd in similar filly only races over 1300M. She can settle behind the speed and then run on. (5) SOEWAKKOT has mixed her form across six starts so far but was a good class and distance 2nd four weeks ago and has placing claims here. (7) RUBY STAR won comfortably having led all the way on debut at this distance back in August. She races for the first time since but shouldn’t be discounted.
|Selections||(1) World Force (2) Firenze Castle (3) Dancing With You (5) Soewakkot|
|Next Best||7, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 6|
Busan Race 6: Class Open (1800M) “The Korean Oaks” Allowance (KOR G3) / KRA 450 Million
(3) RAON PINK has swept all before her recently, winning her last five starts including a comprehensive victory over a mile in the Luna Stakes leading up to this. She is beautifully drawn here and once she gets to the front looks very hard to go past. Her first time around two turns is perhaps the only question. (10) DOCTOR FAPPIANO has an excellent record including a last start class 3 win over 1800M by a large margin nack on September 5th. She previously ran 3rd over this distance to subsequent Derby winner Winner’s Man when chancing her luck at class 2 level – something extremely rare for a three-year-old filly to do. She missed the Luna due to a slight setback and that and the ten-weeks between runs is the only negative. Big chance. (1) SMART OFFICER put in a run full of merit in the Luna when settling a long last after being badly hampered at the start. She flew home and under better circumstances here can go close. This will probably be a very differently run race to the Luna and that may bring (8) MISS INDIE into contention. She was on pace in that race but like many suffered from the tempo applied by Raon Pink and faded. There could be less intensity early here and she should enter the calculations. (7) JEDI ran a resolute 2nd in the Luna in what was a gutsy run and she along with the likes of (2) CHOEGANG BLACK and (11) PUREUN JANGMI, neither of whom ran in the Luna, are others to consider in what is a hot renewal of the filly Classic.
|Selections||(3) Raon Pink (10) Doctor Fappiano (1) Smart Officer (8) Miss Indie|
|Next Best||7, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(3) EAST IMPACT will be favourite here following two successive wins over this distance, the latter being at this class on September 11th when he sat handy early before getting the best of a narrow finish in a good time. He is an on-pace galloper and while he comes up in the weights, that’ balanced out by a good draw and he can complete his hat-trick here. (7) VICEROY is up in class and down in weight on his last start win on October 3rd over 1200M when he made all. This is harder but expect another bold showing. (4) SECRET BOSS is another who comes up in class, in his case having won at 1400M on October 17th. He is perhaps better suited over further but can settle midfield and run on an under a very light weight, shouldn’t be left out of the calculations. (1) MONEY CHAMP is worth thought based on his 5th two starts ago to East Impact. He meets that one 3.5kg better at the weights today and can get closer. (8) A TO Z has a tendency to run very wide if he has no cover but he has plenty of talent and won a trial a couple of weeks ago. If he can run straight, he’ll be in this.
|Selections||(3) East Impact (7) Viceroy (4) Secret Boss (1) Money Champ|
|Next Best||8, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 9, 11|
Busan Race 7: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Very competitive race to conclude the card at Busan. (1) COPY THAT returned from six months out to win first-up over 1200M on October 10th, settling midfield and running on strongly in a fast time. He’s won at this distance before while he is up in class here, he should be competitive and can win again. (3) SO MUCH GO was a slashing 2nd at class and distance on October 29th, beating a few of these in the process as he made up good ground late behind a very good winner. He comes up 2kg in the weights and has tended to mix his form but he’s a chance here. So too is (8) GEUMA PSYCHIC, up in class after a a good win over 1200M last start and whose running style suggests this can suit. (11) RAON THE POWER could only manage 5th at 1200M on his first try at this level but is better than that and can go closer there while (7) ECHO SUN is one of a number of others with at least placing claims.
|Selections||(1) Copy That (3) So Much Go (8) Geuma Psychic (11) Raon The Power|
|Next Best||7, 10|
|Fast Start||5, 10, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(4) SINUI ADEUL is the likely favourite based on his two placed finishes since being promoted to this class. Last time out on September 9th at 1200M he was bumped soon after the start and then raced handy and keenly before running on strong in the straight for 3rd. He has run well at this distance too and has a real chance here. (1) DREAM KNOCK is up in class and down in weight following a last start win over 1300M when on pace and running on. She can perform well settling midfield or on pace and with the inside gate, she can be considered. (8) JOY BROTHER is another who should be in the market based on his recent consistent form. His latest start was his first at this class and he settled on pace and ran a strong 2nd and can go well here. (2) ROCK LINE can have his latest disregarded when very wide for much of the journey. His previous form was solid and was a good 4th two starts back when midfield and running on. (3) VYING BLADE another in the hunt.
|Selections||(4) Sinui Adeul (1) Dream Knock (8) Joy Brother (2) Rock Line|
|Next Best||3, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 8|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(5) LADY KELLY is the one to beat here after her last start 3rd at this class and distance. She was having her first race at class 3 on that occasion and has good speed with the ability to lead or settle midfield and run on so is worth thought in this easier field. (8) LUCKY BONGSEONG will be in the market too with recent placings at class and distance. Disregard her latest start when from gate twelve she never managed to find an in. There’s not a huge amount of speed here on exposed form so she should be considered. (7) CHOEGANG TEAM could be passed over on recent form, but he can make his presence felt here as he is certainly capable of running times that should measure up and his three-year-old form is still remembered. An easier race so perhaps take on trust for a place. (1) WONDERFUL DIXIE was well beaten by Lady Kelly at his latest start but ran well two starts back for 4th at class and distance in a good time on a dry track. The inside gate puts him in the picture. (9) GLOBAL THUNDER is another with solid placing claims.
|Selections||(5) Lady Kelly (8) Lucky Bongseong (7) Choegang Team (1) Wonderful Dixie|
|Next Best||9, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 10: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(2) MIGHTY WHO was a winner at this class and distance two starts back before running ac lose 3rd on his latest on October 16th beating a couple of these in the process. He likes to race handy so is well drawn here and has a big chance. (8) MUNHAK LUCKY comes into focus based on his placings at class and distance in both his latest outings, beating plenty of these along the way. He can race in midfield or handy and should be able to run on here. (10) JEONGMUN ACE is a model of consistency who rarely runs a bad race even if he doesn’t exactly win out of turn. He was 4th behind Mighty Who at his latest start and while his racing style tends to mean he needs a but of luck in running, he should be close again. (3) SINGGEUREOUN TIME could be worth some thought if we disregard her latest start when from the widest gate she was slowly away and settled at the back of the field. The time before she ran on for 2nd over 1800M so shouldn’t be discounted. (4) SUN FO RE another candidate for a place.
|Selections||(2) Mighty Who (8) Munhak Lucky (10) Jeongmun Ace (3) Singgeureoun Time|
|Next Best||4, 11|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 9, 11|