Tattersalls Changes Sales Schedule Due to COVID-19
The sales ring at Tattersalls | Tattersalls
The Tattersalls Ascot March Sale, originally scheduled for Thursday, Mar. 19, has been cancelled, the sales company announced on Tuesday. Earlier on Tuesday, British racing was suspended until the end of April following changes in government guidelines in battling the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Now, the Tattersalls Ascot Breeze Up Sale, originally set for Mar. 31-Apr.1 and the Tattersalls Craven Breeze Up Sale, slated for Apr. 13̀-15, have been combined and will take place in Newmarket from Apr. 29-May 1. Also, the Tattersalls Guineas Breeze Up and Horses in Training Sale will be postponed until May 27-29. These new dates may still change, as the government and industry’s response to the coronavirus remains fluid.
“We are making these changes in response to the unprecedented circumstances arising from yesterday evening’s new Government guidelines and the subsequent BHA decision to suspend British racing until the end of April,” said Tattersalls Chairman Edmond Mahony. “These decisions have not been taken lightly and we are mindful at all times of our joint responsibility to the requirements of our clients and the wider public health issues which have overtaken normal daily life throughout the world.
“Full details of the revised formats associated with the amended sales schedule will be released as soon as is practical, bearing in mind the speed at which events are constantly changing. In the meantime we would like to reiterate our commitment to minimising the impact of this national emergency which has engulfed us all and to stress that we will at all times endeavour to keep our clients informed of any further necessary changes affecting the wider Tattersalls group.” (by TDN)
British Racing Suspended Through April
Masar winning the Craven S. at Newmarket’s opening meeting in April 2018 | racingfotos.com
Britain on Tuesday joined France, Germany, Italy and Spain in cancelling racing altogether in the midst of coronavirus, its shutdown set to last until the end of April. Today’s meetings at Wetherby and Taunton will be the last before the cancellation takes effect.
The British Horseracing Authority had announced on Monday that racing would take place behind closed doors until the end of March, but the picture changed when just hours later Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced a tightening of protocols including mass gatherings.
“This is a national emergency the likes of which most of us have never seen before,” said BHA Chief Executive Nick Rust. “We’re a sport that is proud of its connection to rural communities and to the local businesses that support our industry. But our first duty is to the health of the public, our customers and to racing industry participants and staff so we have decided to suspend racing following the government’s latest advice.
“Racing is a family and I know we will pull together over the coming days, weeks and months and support each other. By stopping racing, we can free up medical resources, doctors and ambulances, be they private sector or NHS, to assist in the national effort to fight this virus. And we can support racing industry participants and staff as they face up to the personal challenges ahead and care for their own families.
“There will be difficult months ahead for many of us. We need to focus now on ensuring that we can continue to look after our horses as the virus affects the thousands of participants and staff who dedicate their lives to caring for animals. We need to do what we can to support businesses inside and outside racing and the many people whose livelihoods depend upon this £4 billion industry. We are in constant contact with government which understands the very significant consequences of this decision for jobs and businesses. We will work with them to do our best to manage the impact.
“Racing leaders will keep today’s decision under constant review and endeavour to keep all customers, participants, staff and dependent businesses informed as the situation progresses.” (by TDN)
Churchill Downs Incorporated
announced today its decision to reschedule the 146th Longines Kentucky Oaks and Kentucky Derby Presented by Woodford Reserve. The 146th Kentucky Derby will be rescheduled from May 2, 2020 to September 5, 2020 and the 146th Kentucky Oaks will be rescheduled from May 1, 2020 to September 4, 2020. These dates are contingent upon final approval from the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission which we expect to receive on Thursday, March 19.
CDI’s CEO, Bill Carstanjen, stated: “Throughout the rapid development of the COVID-19 pandemic, our first priority has been how to best protect the safety and health of our guests, team members and community. As the situation evolved, we steadily made all necessary operational adjustments to provide the safest experience and environment. The most recent developments have led us to make some very difficult, but we believe, necessary decisions and our hearts are with those who have been or continue to be affected by this pandemic.
We are fortunate to have great partnerships during these challenging times with the Governor of Kentucky, the City of Louisville, NBC and so many others. For the second time in the 145-year history of the event, the first time being at the end of World War II, we will move the date of the Kentucky Derby. We sincerely regret any inconvenience this creates for our outstanding fans, whom I’m sure will understand that there is no doubt that this must be done.
Our team is united in our commitment to holding the very best Kentucky Derby ever and certainly the most unique in any of our lifetimes. While we are always respectful of the time-honored traditions of the Kentucky Derby, our Company’s true legacy is one of resilience, the embracing of change and unshakeable resolve.
We will hold the 146th Kentucky Derby on September 5th, 2020, just as our Company has held the Kentucky Derby in every single year since 1875. The 146th running of Kentucky Oaks will take place the day before on Friday, September 4th, 2020.”
We believe that moving this iconic event to Labor Day weekend this year will enable the country to have time to contain the spread of COVID-19. This will also provide guests more time to reschedule their travel and hotel arrangements so that they can attend. Broadcast partner NBC was involved in the selection of dates based on the limited number of other sporting events being held that weekend and the decision was also based on the availability of lodging in the Louisville area to accommodate visitors to the Derby.
The impact of this iconic event extends well beyond the historic racetrack of Churchill Downs – and is an important time for the city of Louisville and the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Details and planning for Derby Week beyond Kentucky Oaks and Kentucky Derby are still to be determined. For the latest information on Derby Week, Spring Meet and details on ticketing as well as other relevant information regarding this change, please visit kentuckyderby.com/updates.
Suite aux mesures prises par le Gouvernement, France Galop et LeTROT ont décidé de suspendre toutes les courses hippiques en France, à compter du mardi 17 mars et jusqu’au 15 avril 2020.
Même si cela signifie que nous n’allons plus vous voir sur nos hippodromes, notre priorité absolue est la santé de tous les acteurs de la filière et le respect des directives de l’Etat. En suspendant toute compétition, nous voulons d’abord et avant tout les protéger de la pandémie actuelle. Par cette décision, la filière hippique française montre également sa solidarité et sa responsabilité vis-à-vis de la Nation toute entière.
Nous espérons de tout cœur qu’elles contribueront à endiguer la propagation du Coronavirus.
Et parce-que vous allez nous manquer, maintenons le contact à distance via les réseaux sociaux ou sur notre site web
Nous espérons pouvoir vous accueillir à nouveau très vite au grand air de nos hippodromes, et d’ici là prenez soin de vous !
Toute l’équipe Marketing/Communication de France Galop